April 22, 2009

Another Tough Day On The Mountain

This is Joe writing again. Sorry to disappoint the fan club but Kris is still out of commission today. I have spent the entire day with her. She is still in a lot of pain from the chemo. The pain is general and spread over her body. There is only so much that pain meds can do. I want everyone to know that she has world class care here. The BMT unit is very impressive and she has great nurses and doctors. She is in a private room and comfortable as she can be under the circumstances. She is on day + 5 since her stem cell transplant and received her last major dose of chemo today. By day +10 her stem cells will be ingrafted into her bones and will begin to produce red and white blood cells and platelets. Currently, her white cell count is at 0 and she is nutripenic which means she has no resistance to infection. She is on IV antibiotics and IV pain meds. I was able to read her all the comments from the blog and it lifted her spirits. God Bless everyone who is reading this blog and supporting her. I know many of you read and do not comment. That is ok. The prayer that you carry in your heart is helping. I met a man today in the cafeteria who was in a much worse place than we are as a family. We were able to talk and comfort each other. He is two thousand miles from home and his wife is pregnant and very sick in this hospital. We are still counting our blessings. Kris and I actually realize them and savor them more at this time. Family and friends like you are the greatest blessings of all. In the end it is the gospel of Jesus Christ that keeps us going. The spirit is very strong in our family right now and very close to Kris. Thank you all for everything, hug your spouse and your kids and keep praying for Kris. I was able to serve that man in the cafeteria today in a very small way and it made me feel great. When we are down we need to find someone to serve, it will make us feel better. Take care and God Bless. Joe Kelly

12 comments:

Melinda said...

Every time I read your blog I am amazed by your strength, courage and faith. You give me strength! You have made me take a closer look at what is really important in life. Thank you for taking us on your journey with you.

I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain. I hope that it will end soon. Let your family and friends push and pull you up the mountain with their faith and prayers.

Take care
Love ya
Melinda

Nikki said...

What amazing faith and strength you all have. My prayers are with you and your family. You are an inspiration to us all!

Kris...we were watching home videos the other day and it was Bailey's preschool Halloween program! It was such a pleasure to be a part of your preschool. You were an amazing and fun teacher. Thanks for all that you did for my kids!

Beth said...

Kris and Joe, I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain and your burden. You are so lucky to have each other, your children, and the gospel. I'm sure you don't always feel strong, but we can all see your strength, and are blessed by knowing you. Just keep climbing a little bit further, you can do it! We love you so much and are grateful for our association, our thoughts and prayers are always with you.

paige said...

Okay, I always read, but don't always comment because I don't feel I have anything profound to say. But, we are still praying for you Kris and we know you can make it through this!!! I am still so inspired by your journey :) Keep smiling.

Mel and Angus said...

The great thing about climbing a mountain is that you don't have to do it alone. When it is too hard to take another step, your friends are there to help you up. We love you guys. Keep climbing!

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

Oh Kris! :) Everything will be ok. More if this is the last round, be stronger, think positive (eventhough is hard) Think about that your family and kids needs you HERE! You can do it!

Lorraine M. Davis said...

Kris,
I think about you and your family often. My mom was going through chemo a year ago, and today she is doing great. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I know this is an arduous path, to say the least. Baby steps. You will get through this. And Joe, I know it is really difficult to see someone you love suffer so much. That is a tough place to be. You're in my prayers.
Peace, Love and Light
Lorraine Davis

Kristine (the Killer Rabbit) Koncher said...

It means the world to me that you (Joe) and your family have served my family for years and continue to "serve" us in our time of need when your needs are so much greater. Kris, my heart sends you what ever love I have to give and hope for the future.

Kristine Alvarez

Monica said...

Don't have a lot of time to write today - but just wanted you to know that I love you, am thinking about you and am keeping you in my prayers.

You are loved. Breathe. Rest. Pray. Climb.

Book Girl said...

Kris, Steve and I have been thinking of you and hope that you are improving each day. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Lynn Tanner

Monica said...

I was thinking of you today, and missing you very much. For some reason, I can feel a hole - a little missing part - are you ok? Ok is a strech, I know, but I am bothered by this feeling of resignation now.

Kris, stay with us. Please don't give up, please don't give in to the cancer or the treatment. Fight. Fight like hell. Punch back. Compartmentalize the pain, and reach beyond it. You can do this. You can make it. You will make it. Hold HIS hand. I'm praying, Peregrine is praying, we are all praying. Go, girl, go! Stop, rest, fight. Hit that SOB hard - your life depends on it.

As you know, I belive when all else fails, laugh. So here is my best joke...

My husband has a friend. He's a midget, and just recently decided to buy some property and raise some cows. He also bought all of the stuff to make him look good, the hat, the horse, the lasso, etc. It was all very expensive, but he new he had to have it.

After three days on the range he started to have some pain and discomfort - he first attributed it to his new lifestyle and all the hard work, but after two weeks he could no longer ignore the pain he had developed in his legs and groin area. So he went to the doctor.

The doctor examined him, and told him that the pain would require surgery, but that he felt he could do it in the office and without anesthesia. So the doctor stood him on the table, and began to go to work. He told the man not to look at the surgery, for it may be too painful to watch. Miraculously, the little cowboy had no pain. He was very grateful to the doctor, and got dressed. Afterward, he said to him, "I feel great, doc, but what did you do? I had absolutely no pain with the surgery."

"Well, cowboy," said the doctor, "it was pretty easy. I cut off the top six inches of your new $500 boots."

annie said...

The Bass Family are thinking of you and keeping you in their prayers. Hoping that the summit for you is not too far off now!

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...