January 16, 2009

Ice, Ice, Baby

Well here I go again. Today was the first day of Chemo for this round. I went into the Hospital at 9:30am and finished three and half hours later. First they did labs-they always do labs! which means blood tests. Boy do I have a lot of blood! usually they take from 5-6 to 14-15 vials at a time! After that I was given an IV of Saline for an hour. After the first half hour the nurse brought me a big bucket of ice to keep packing in my mouth and then swallowing to keep the chemo from burning the linings of my mouth and throat. I had to do this for an hour and a half, also during the chemo, and then again for another round of saline. (I just kept thinking of that stupid rap song, Ice, Ice, Baby- the only words I can recognize from it.) Needless to say a fun time was had by all. So far this evening I have not had any side effects but I am sure they will come over the next two weeks. I will continue with high doses of heavy chemo both IV and oral over the next three days. On Tuesday I will receive my first stem cell transplant. Horray! This will also be given through an IV. On Monday my parents and I will be moving into a motel in Salt Lake to be closer to the Hospital. My body and immunities will continue to weaken next week and there is a great concern for getting infections. The Dr. has told us that 80% of the patients do end up in the hospital at this time. So we are keeping our fingers crossed and our prayers frequent.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Kris, sorry I didn't get over to see you while you were home. I really wanted to visit with you, but it just didn't seem to work out. I'm so glad that you are with your parents, and that they can help you through this. I can't imagine how hard it is, but I know that you can beat it! Think positive thoughts, and stay strong! We love you and think of you often. You are always in our prayers.
Beth

Rochelle said...

Glad to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor or your smile. I love the t-shirt. You look great. You are in our prayers.

Kylie said...

hey!! its one of your favorite! we miss you so much but you should already know that. we love to hear from you and that letter was so sweet!! i just want you to know that me and all your girls love you very much and that you are in our prayers! i just wanted to tell you that one day i was talking with Kelli and we were saying how we were scared of you (ha ha this was a long time ago) and Kelli told us "Hey, she is one of my favorites! and i dont know how i would do my calling without her". i think of that a lot and how you have helped my testimony grow so much! you and your family are so sweet! we cant waight to hear from you! love you oh so, so much!! just so you know one last time how much we love you, we do!! have a Fantastic day!! <3 (thats a heart cuz i dont kno how to blow you a kiss. lots of love, Kylie B

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...