June 06, 2010

Time for Another Hike

My four sons, son-in-law, and daughter. Aren't they handsome....and beautiful?!
Our only daughter was married on June 3rd. It was such a wonderful celebration. She was married in the Salt Lake LDS temple. The ceremony was beautiful, simple, and sacred. We haven't felt like we were losing a daughter but that we are gaining a son.
It's been six weeks since my last round of chemo. A serious break after 18 months of treatment. After explaining to my doctor all of the upcoming events happening in May, he agreed to let me take time off of treatment. I was desperately hoping he would say that nine months of maintenance was plenty however that wasn't the case. He did say that we must always weigh out treatment with quality of life issues. Well I must say that "my quality of life" has needed some adjustment so it was wonderful to take a "breather" for six weeks!
It has taken a good month to shake off the fatigue and some of the "chemo brain." Just in the nick of time I have been able to enjoy some wonderful events with my family.
Now it's time to jump back on the chemo roller coaster. I head up to Huntsman on Monday to begin treatment. I will start with labs. They will be checking to make sure all systems are "go." Then the games begin. An IV with some saline, a quick push of Velcade(chemo) and a three hour infusion of Aredia-a bone hardening infusion. I will also start back up on Dexamethasone and a new drug called Revlimid. I am not looking forward to the next three months. It is so hard to start back. This time I know what I am getting into!
...so wish me luck, keep me in your prayers, and I will get back on my hiking boots and climb a little further up this mountain.

3 comments:

Andy and Robyn said...

I was thinking about you all day on Thursday! Mallory looks beautiful. She looked so happy in their announcement photo! Your kids are all looking so grown-up. Good luck on your 'hike' - love you! :)

Susie Hemingway said...

Congratulations on your daughters lovely wedding - beautiful photo and all very best wishes for your continued good treatment.

Beth said...

The reception was beautiful, and you all looked great! Mallory looked so wonderful and happy, we wish her nothing but the best. Hang in there Kris, you'll get through this! Love ya!

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...