June 02, 2009

My Life Preservers

 After reading my previous blog,  I realized that I had failed to mention one of the greatest blessings in all of this.  My parents!  I don’t know what we would have done without them.  Luckily they live just 20 miles from Huntsman; a true blessing while I am required to be close to the Hospital during testing, treatments and recovery.  I can not even imagine how we would have managed without them. Having them live conveniently near the hospital has been wonderful, however they have done so much more than that.

    My parents have given me life twice.  Once when I was born; the only girl in a family of four boys. (ironically just like the family I am raising) And now they give me life again through the many sacrifices they have made to get me through these last several months. 

     They raised me in a home filled with love.  They taught us life skills I am grateful for now.  Both teachers, they worked hard to care for a big family and made sure we knew how to work hard.  We spent many happy summers in my favorite place-Star Valley, Wyoming, working and playing in the hay fields and woods.

     They have been with me every step of the way.  From the moment we found out the plan, they have adjusted their lives to help my family and I manage all of this.   My dad bought a new car that would be easier and safer to drive into Salt Lake everyday for appointments and treatments.  He  made sure it had good snow tires and was heated before I got in during December when I had to be at the hospital by 7am every morning for over a week.  My dad has taken turns taking me to appointments-He takes the shorter ones :) and gets things done around the house when my mom is with me.  

     My parents just bought a trailer home in St. George last year and were anxious to get down their and enjoy it. They put all their plans on hold without a second thought.  My dad is one of my life preservers!

    My mom has spent her life caring for her children. She cooked, canned, sewed and worked full time.  Although she was a 4th grade teacher for many years,  I think her second career has been that of a nurse. She has spent countless hours in hospitals over the years attending to the needs of our family with broken bones, health problems, and serious life-threatening accidents. Well her experience comes in handy once again as she takes care of me.

     She has spent many, many hours in the waiting room and infusion room by my side.  Her life has been completely consumed with me and my needs.  She probably knows more about my disease than I do as she researches and stays on top of what I should be doing each step of the way.  She spent everyday of my ten day hospital stay with me even though I wasn’t good company and manages to whip up healthy meals for me even  though I could only take a few bites.  My mother has given her life to give me a second life.  She is one of my life preservers!

     How can I ever express the love and gratitude I feel for my parents.  I ask the Lord to bless them everyday for the sacrifices they make on my behalf, and hope that I can be there for them whenever they may need my help.

      I Love you both and am so grateful to be your daughter.  Thank you for all you have done for me now and throughout my life. You have supported me every step of the way.  You are my life preservers in every sense of the word.  Love, your daughter, Kristine

7 comments:

Book Girl said...

What a great tribute to your parents. I have met them at the clinic and have been impressed with their dedication to you and your journey. Hats off to them both.
Hope all is going well for you in this phase of recovery!

Mel and Angus said...

Your post filled my eyes with tears! What a great tribute to your parents. Reading that makes me realize what great extended family support you have. I hope you are getting better every day! We love you guys.

Rochelle said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your tribute to your parents! I read it with tears in my eyes as I thought about all parents and how much they sacrifice for their children! thank you for sharing.

Melinda said...

What an awesome tribute to your parents!! It is great that they are at a place in life that they were able to help you. Growing up you never realize that your parents will always be such a needed part to life. There is no tougher or more rewarding job then being a parent. I know that you are a great mom, just like your mom.

Melinda

monica said...

You are fortunate, indeed, to have your parents by your side.

Glad to see a new post. I check your blog regularly, and sit in silent terror until the next post arrives...keep them coming whenever you are able.

Do you feel like you are out of the woods yet? Are you home?

Kim, denese and kd dog said...

I have been at Huntsman many times these past months and your mom or dad are always right there with you. They are truly incredible. Hope you are doing well at this stage of treatment and you can get back to a 'normal' life soon.

deneseP (dpcaregiver)

ginnie said...

Kris, I didn't get a chance to comment on this before now however I can't let this opportunity pass. I am so touched by you and your wonderful family. Isn't life amazing, that we're given such tender mercies by our Heavenly Father in times of need. I knew your parents were wonderful however I know that they are truly Angels here on earth. May the Lord bless them and all of you. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It LIFTS me each day I think about all of you. Thank you also for being a gracious receiver, for as I have told you before, if no one is willing to receive then no one can serve!! I love you , Ginnie

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...