February 15, 2011

Mat Talk

Lest you think our family is obsessed with all things martial arts, I wanted to share something else we are involved in.
          
                    WRESTLING
(Trent, my 112 lb. 9th grade wrestler with the yellow shoes)
  Joe started his career as a teacher and high school wrestling coach.  He coached for ten years and has been involved with community wrestling since then.
  When our first son was about two years old, he used to put all of his stuffed animals in a pile and run around them yelling, "two points! two points."


(Trent and Tyler. Brothers talking strategy)
Well, twenty-three years and four sons later, wrestling continues to play a big part in our lives.  All of our sons have been quite successful in the sport. 
Jace and Trent who took 5th in State!!
We just finished the official wrestling season last week.  We spent two days at the Utah 4A State tournament cheering for our high school team and supporting my freshman son.

   I feel so blessed to have been able to watch most of Trent's matches this year.  I've missed so many of them over the past two years. Even if I don't understand all the moves and rules, and the seats get uncomfortable and the crowd gets so noisy, there is nothing better than being able to watch your child work and struggle and wrestle after paying the price in practice for weeks and months.

Jace declared the winner of a match last year
I live each second on the mat with him. My heart pounds in my chest with each point given.  Whether the ref raises my wrestlers arm at the end .... or not, I was there standing on sidelines or seating in the stands rooting for him all the way.  Feeling his successes or his failures, I am there. 

   Wrestling is a lot like life. It's tough! We all need a lot of practice.  Sooner or later we will be out on that mat by ourselves facing challenges and fighting to come out on top.  Somethings we must face alone.  We all must be prepared to face our opponents or situations and sometimes we must do it by ourselves; One on one against the opposition or problem. However, through the easy or the hard it is good to know there are family or fans cheering us on from the sidelines.
  I hope my sons and my daughters will know and understand that no matter what comes in their lives, I will be there cheering them on from the sidelines and enjoying my involvement in their lives.


Oh, and about me. I go to Huntsman for tests this week. Labs, an MRI, and another biopsy.  Fun.  Wish me Luck and may all my numbers be good.




   

3 comments:

Manda said...

Kristine,

I found your blog through MM for Dummies, my Dad was diagnosed with MM in April 2010. He is currently going through his SCT in Salt Lake right now. I am glad to see you are doing well and are getting back to work and moving forward with your life. I feel like my family is stuck in time right now and I look forward to the day we reach our new "normal". Like you, our faith and our involvement in church plays a big part of our lives and keeps us going and bring positive. On another random note are you by chance related to a woman named Michelle Erickson?

Vannette said...

Kris - I love your blog.

Congratulations to your wrestlers. My brothers wrestled so I am partial to the sport also.

Good luck with your tests this week. Glen will be going to the Hunstmand also. Maybe we will get to see you again. Take good care, Vannette Ross

Lori Puente said...

Love your wrestlers!

All good stuff tomorrow with the main man Dr. Tricot!

Thanks for all your support!

ML,

Lori

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...