March 22, 2010

8 down!!... but who's counting?

It's Spring today.  My grass is turning green and little purple crocus' are stretching out of my tired and neglected flower beds.  I just finished my eighth month of maintenance treatment.  The last dose of Velcade and Dex were four days ago.  It takes me so long to recover!  I can get up make breakfast,  straighten the house, get ready for the day and then I am completely exhausted.  
   Fatigue is a huge side effect of treatment.  It is entirely different than being tired.  I feel like I have been running a marathon, swimming the english channel or scaling the rocky cliffs of my "myeloma mountain."  I wish I could just take a good long nap and wake up refreshed and ready to go for jog.  Well I guess there are trade-offs.  Things could be much worse.   I have been fortunate to not have to deal too much with some much more unpleasant side effects such as nausea, or neuropathy.  So I guess I am just learning to live with it.  
    Four more months of this treatment-if I can stand it!  That's 16 rounds of chemo.  Thirty two days of steriod.  Probably one more IVIG infusion.  And around a hundred and twenty lovenox-blood thinner shots.  But who's counting.
p.s. my hair is growing and I actually used a blow dryer on it yesterday.
    

4 comments:

Donna said...

Glad you're doing well and that you're treatment is helping other than making you exhausted. Maybe before cleaning up you should just go sit in the sun and see what flowers are blooming today. I bet it's exciting for your hair to grow back!

Teresa said...

I am so happy for you Kris, it has been a long and hard fight. You are awesome the way you keep hanging in there. We will have to have a big party when it is all said and done. It was great to have heat again in the studio, thanks for all you do. It is appreciated.

Mel and Angus said...

It is so good to hear that you are doing well. Hair growing back is a sign that things are on the right path. Hang in there! We love you!

Alesha LeMmon said...

You are amazing! I appreciate your outlook on life. We all have such struggles at times and it is good to read great things from you. Thank you.

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...