April 14, 2009

The Big Week

Well this is the big week.  Yesterday-Monday I started the first regimen of Chemotherapy.  I was at Huntsman from 8am to 3:00pm. It began with blood tests then we waited for the pharmacy to mix up my personal chemo-cocktail.  The first drug was a high dose of Carmustine given through an IV, a quick run of Velcade.  Then finally a two hour infusion of Gemcitabine, a new drug which my insurance doesn't cover! This medical adventure is not cheap, but we feel very blessed to have good insurance which does cover most of the costs.  I guess it's one more year of driving our old red van!
    I have had little reactions so far-just enjoying it for as long as I can. I know the side effects will eventually come.  I go back in for another round of chemo on Thursday replacing the Carmustine with Melphalan the happy high dose drug which causes mouth sores.  I had it during the first round with few side effects of the mouth because they have you pack your mouth with ice for over an hour before and during the transfusion.  I am really looking forward to that!
   Friday is the stem cell transplant.  A transfusion of 8.27 million of my own stem cells which had been previously harvested and stored.
Well here I go-so far so good.  Wish me luck.  Thank you for all the good thoughts, the many prayers and the kind deeds for me and my family.  I love you all!!

5 comments:

Nick and Amera said...

Good luck to you my dear! You are just the best and I love you so much! I enjoyed Jace's talk on sunday, he is an amazing kid! Im sorry i didnt see you at church, of course we sit in the very back with a 2 year old...... but Im glad you had a great easter weekend feeling pretty good. No one deserves it more than you! I love you and wish you the best luck during this time. You are amazing!

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

Good luck !!! Always think positive. I have not figure out who is your family yet. But one day I will.

Andy and Robyn said...

Good luck on all that is ahead. I talked to Melissa yesterday and she said you were "happy" to wait until Monday when they told you on Friday you were thrilled! :) But I am glad you were able to be at home for Easter!

Saedi said...

Best of luck! We will be praying for you! I know it will all go great!

Missy Webster said...

Kris,
Missed talking to you today. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Many people from the old ward ask about you and think of you all the time. I sure love you girl.
Miss

Fourteenth Year Cancerversary

              My husband and I at my 40th High School Reunion.                                                    Am I seriously that old?! ...